BP Oman announced that phase one of its massive Khazzan natural gas project, which is located in an undeveloped desert site 350km south of Muscat, is 80% complete. The project is expected to deliver first gas near the end of 2017, reported Trade Arabia.

The Khazzan drilling program is  on schedule with 38 of the 50 wells needed by first gas already drilled.  Furthermore, more than 300 wells will eventually be drilled over the lifetime of the project, informed Times of Oman. According to BP’s plans, the project will contribute 1.5bcf /d of gas to the Omani economy.

The BP Oman’s President, Yousuf Al Ojaili, said: “reliable gas supplies are needed for the country’s power sector and energy intensive industries.” He added: ” this unique project is an excellent opportunity to develop Omani expertise in tight gas development.”

BP Oman is the lead partner in the project with a 60 % interest, while Oman Oil Company Exploration & Production holds the remaining 40% stake.