Egypt produced around 1.6 million tons of diesel during Q1 2018, head of the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation, Abed Ezz El Regal, told Amwal Al Ghad.

Domestic production supplies 70% to 75% of Egypt’s demand for diesel, while imports cover the remaining 25% to 30%, Ezz El Regal added.

Ezz El Regal said that developing the refineries will increase the rate of domestic production. In addition, increasing the country’s production of crude oil, which fuels the refineries, will also contribute to raising diesel output, he added.

Egypt consumed 1.214 million tons of diesel in March 2018, representing a 6.69% year-on-year (YoY) increase, Egypt Oil & Gas reported.

Meanwhile the country’s diesel production increased by 2.04% YoY, reaching 600,000 tons in March 2018, compared to 588,000 tons of diesel produced in the same month of 2017.