ExxonMobil Drills Liberia’s Mesurado-1 Well

ExxonMobil Drills Liberia’s Mesurado-1 Well

ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Liberia, an affiliate of ExxonMobil, announced that it has commenced the drilling of its first well, the Mesurado-1, off the coast of Liberia, Ecofin Agency reported. The company is working on developing the Mesurado-1 exploration well together with joint venture partner, Canadian Overseas Petroleum Ltd (COPL).

COPL said mid-November that Exxon commenced drilling operations on the Mesurado-1 exploration well using the drillship Seadrill West Saturn. The Mesurado-1 well is some 50 miles offshore Liberia on Block LB-13 in some 2,500 meters of water, as informed Natural Gas World.

“The well, targeting oil in Late Cretacous sands, is the first well operated by ExxonMobil offshore Liberia,” said Calgary-based Junior Independent COPL.

ExxonMobil secured an 80% stake in LB-13 from Canadian Overseas Petroleum in 2013 and later increased it to 83%. The remaining 17% is being held by Canadian Overseas Petroleum’s 100% owned subsidiary, Canadian Overseas Petroleum (Bermuda) Limited.

Mariana Somensi 890 Posts

Mariana holds a Journalism Bachelor Degree from the State University of Londrina, Brazil. The Brazilian journalist has 4 years of experience on the MENA region's affairs and over a year of experience on the oil and gas industry.


Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Don't have account. Register

Lost Password