Shamal Azzour Al-Oula KSC, the Kuwait’s power and water desalination plant has crossed the 664.2MW power production milestone, which represents 50 % of the country’s long-term plan to increase its power capacity, and meet estimated peak demand of 25GW by 2025, reported Trade Arabia.

Azzour is the first gas-fired combined cycle power plant in Kuwait established under the Kuwait’s Public Private Partnerships (PPP) law in 2008.

Shamal Azzour Al-Oula’s CEO, Andrew Biffen expressed optimism that continuous progress will allow to fulfill 100 % of the plant’s envisaged power capacity at the level of 1,500MW of electricity and 107m imperial gallons of water per day, by the end of 2016.

According to Kuwait Times, 40 % of Shamal Azzour Al-Oula is owned by a private consortium comprising ENGIE (formerly GDF SUEZ), Sumitomo Corporation, and A H Al-Sagar and Brothers. The remaining 60 % belongs to the Government of Kuwait, but the government is also mandated to sell 50 % of the total ownership through an Initial Public Offering (IPO) after construction is completed, and subsequently retain merely 10 %.