Aminex fails to deepen Ntorya find

Operator Aminex has said the final deepening of the Ntorya 1 well onshore Tanzania did not yield any additional reservoir potential.

The London-listed independent said it would now plug back the well for completion and testing of the prior discovery of gas between 2660 and 2685 metres at the Ruvuma Basin well.

In late February the explorer announced it had encountered a 25 metre gross sand interval at that depth with a 3 metre net gas bearing pay zone in sandstones and a 16.5 metre thick lower sandstone interval with further possible pay.

Deepened to a final total depth of 3150 metres, the well saw “encouraging gas readings” over the final 300 metres but the deeper target was ultimately found not to have reservoir potential, Aminex said.

Chief executive Stuard Detmer said Ntorya 1 had nonetheless “successfully extended onshore the Ruvuma Basin play fairway”, adding that the player saw significant further potential at the block, especially its offshore segment.

Tullow Oil had shared 25% of the cost of drilling the well to a depth of 2500 metres, but elected to not participate in the deepening of the well earlier this month.

As a result operator Aminex held a 75% interest in the deepening of the well, with Solo Oil holding the remaining 25% stake.

Aminex holds a 56.25% stake in the Ruvuma Block with Tullow Oil on 25% and Solo Oil holding the remaining 18.75%.

Source: Upstream Online


Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password