The Egyptian Ministery of Petroleum has signed the Concession Agreement for the East Ras Budran Offshore area. RWE Dea is the operator, holding a share of 80%. The company plans a 3D seismic survey and one exploration well during the first three-year exploration period.
RWE Dea is pleased to announce that the Egyptian Ministery of Petroleum has signed the Concession Agreement for the East Ras Budran Offshore area with the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC), RWE Dea and Dove Energy. RWE Dea will operate the concession with an 80% share, with Dove holding the remaining 20% interest.
“We are delighted to have signed this new concession agreement in Egypt, especially in the Gulf of Suez where RWE Dea has several decades of experience in oil exploration, development and production,” said Maximilian Fellner, General Manager RWE Dea Egypt.
The concession, with an area of approximately 45 square kilometres, is located offshore the Gulf of Suez, nearby one of RWE Dea’s existing assets, Ras Budran, and related production facilities.
RWE Dea plans to acquire a 3D seismic survey and drill one exploration well during the first three-year exploration period. Exploration activities will target the Cretaceous sandstones play RWE Dea successfully drilled in the adjacent Ras Budran oil field. Any discovery will benefit from important synergies with the existing production facilities that will allow for a quick and optimised development.
“The concession agreement reconfirms RWE Dea’s strong commitment to this Country, both in terms of development of existing discoveries and in terms of further exploration to sustain future growth,” Fellner explained.
Including its predecessor company, RWE Dea Egypt has already been engaged in upstream operations in Egypt for almost 40 years and has produced oil in the Gulf of Suez as operator for three decades now. In recent years, the Company has made a number of large gas discoveries in Egypt and extended its portfolio substantially by acquiring additional concessions. RWE Dea is engaged in 10 onshore and offshore concessions in Egypt with a total area of about 6,500 square kilometres.
The block East Ras Budran Offshore was offered in the International Bid Round 2011 of the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) and awarded to RWE Dea end of last year.
Stakes in the licence:
RWE Dea Egypt (operator): 80%
Dove Energy Inc. 20%