Nigerian Petroleum Tankers Drivers (PTD), the arm of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), blamed the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) for the current scarcity of petrol in some parts of the country, DailyPostNg reported.

National Chairman of the PTD,  Salimon Akanni Oladiti, said that oil marketers were not hoarding fuel. “For some time now, we have not been able to load at NNPC depot in Apata, Ibadan and there is no hope of loading in some other NNPC depots in the Southwest,” wrote TheNationOnlineNg.

He stated that the government is responsible for this problem and  added that “it is so sad that we are one of the largest producers of oil, but we are still suffering from scarcity.”

The PTD Chairman explained that NNPC imports about 75% of the oil consumed in the country, the remaining 25% is for major marketers. “What the government is trying to tackle still exists; corruption is still in the oil industry. There is corruption and bribery at the oil depots and you have to face this hurdle before you can load your truck.”

Meanwhile, Nigerians have trooped to Twitter to pour out their anger over the renewed fuel scarcity that is biting hard on parts of the country. Motorists and commuters are groaning over unavailability of the product in major cities. In Ibadan, Oyo state capital, it was discovered that only a handful of filling stations were selling petrol while majority did not have the product to sell, Naij informed.