RWE Dea has fruitfully finalized its wide-ranging drilling campaign in 2008 within the West Nile Delta; the exploration well Ruby-3 (Ji 50-2) discovered gas.
The Ruby-3 (Ji 50-2) exploration well is located within the offshore West Mediterranean Deep Water concession, approximately 66 kilometers from the Egyptian coast. The well was drilled in 920m water depth and reached its total depth at 1957m. Gas bearing sandstones were penetrated in the Pliocene section as prognosed.
Evaluation of the drilling results is ongoing in order to estimate the amount of gas resources and their implication to RWE Dea’s portfolio. RWE Dea has a 20% working interest in the concession, whereas the remaining 80% is held by Operator BP.
Ruby-3 was the last of six exploration and appraisal wells drilled by BP and RWE Dea within the West Nile Delta (WND) in 2008. The well penetrated one segment of the so-called Maadi prospect which extends into other concessions, in all of which RWE Dea holds substantial shares.
The Ruby field was discovered in 2002 (Ruby-1) and successfully appraised in 2003 (Ruby-2). Located in the Western Nile Delta’s West Mediterranean Deep Water concession, other finds in the area include Polaris and Raven.
“With gas proven in the Ruby-3 well, chances increase that more gas may be discovered in the other, so far undrilled segments of Maadi,” explained Hans-Hermann Andreae, General Manager of RWE Dea Egypt. “However, prior to further appraisal of Maadi we will focus on development of several of the other gas fields discovered in the West Nile Delta area. These fields have been discovered earlier and some of them were successfully appraised in 2008.”