PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd (PCSB), a subsidiary of PETRONAS, announced that it has discovered new natural gas well, the Hadrah-1 wildcat in Block SK411, located in the shallow waters of Balingian Province.

The Hadrah-1 well has encountered gas within an approximately 200-meter thick sequence of high-quality sandstone and carbonate reservoirs after it was successfully drilled to a total depth of 1,850 meters.

In this regard, PETRONAS Vice President of Exploration, Upstream, Emeliana Rice-Oxley said, “The gas discovery in the Hadrah-1 wildcat exploration well by PCSB further proves the promising prospectivity in the underexplored Cycle I, II & III plays within the Balingian province.”

“The excellent quality of reservoirs encountered augurs the remaining potential in the surrounding areas, with PCSB well positioned to pursue the untapped similar plays in Blocks SK411 and SK306. We look forward to delivering more natural gas, the cleanest fossil fuel, safely and reliably to the market,” she added.

This block is operated by PCSB with a 90% share while the remaining 10 % is held by E&P Malaysia Venture Sdn Bhd. It should be noted that Hadrah-1 is the third gas discovery in this province in 2021.